Organic Synthesis & Molecular Engineering
We develop synthetic methodologies for functional organic molecules and utilize molecular programmed artificial self-assembly strategies through supramolecular or hydrogel chemistry.
The synthesized organic molecules independently possess various capabilities for molecular sensing or cellular signal modulation, and furthermore, when these molecules are combined with supramolecular or hydrogel chemistry, it is possible to develop convergence systems with enhanced sensing or actuating capabilities. Specifically, we explore a synthetic organic chemistry-based approach to create new chemical tools (e.g., small organic molecules, hydrogels, or supramolecular polymers) for cancer therapy, molecular sensing and cellular activity control to utilize them for diagnostic/therapeutic purposes.
The proposed research areas are strongly interlinked, which will create synergies among the three areas toward the development of new chemical technologies for the medical and pharmaceutical industries.
- Choi, J.-s.; Kim, S.; Yoo, D.; Shin, T.-H.; Kim, H.; Gomes, M. D.; Kim, S. H.; Pines, A.; Cheon, J., "Distance-dependent magnetic resonance tuning as a versatile MRI sensing platform for biological targets" Nature Materials vol. 16, p. 537, (2017)
- Jeong, S.+; Yoo, D.+; Ahn, M.; Miró, P.; Heine, T.; Cheon, J. +equally contributed, "Tandem intercalation strategy for single-layer nanosheets as an effective alternative to conventional exfoliation processes" Nature Communications vol. 6, p. 5763, (2015)
- Yoo, D.; Kim, M.; Jeong, S.; Han, J.; Cheon, J., "Chemical synthetic strategy for single-layer transition-metal chalcogenides" Journal of the American Chemical Society vol. 136, p. 14670, (2014)
- Yoo, D.; Jeong, H.; Noh, S.-H.; Lee, J.-H.; Cheon, J., "Magnetically triggered dual functional nanoparticles for resistance-free apoptotic hyperthermia" Angewandte Chemie International Edition vol. 52, p. 13047, (2013)
- Yoo, D.; Jeong, H.; Preihs, C.; Choi, J.-s.; Shin, T.-H.; Sessler, J. L.; Cheon, J., "Double-effector nanoparticles: A synergistic approach to apoptotic hyperthermia" Angewandte Chemie International Edition vol. 51, p. 12482, (2012)